Raw Vegan Wrap with Pumpkin Seed and Chickpea Pate Recipe
Here’s a delightful raw vegan recipe for some very satisfying and nutrient- dense finger food you can bring with you to work or enjoy at home inspired by traditional Japanese cuisine. Cabbage leaves can also be substituted for collard greens in a pinch, and alfalfa sprouts can be added to lighten it up a bit.
1 cup of raw unsalted green pumpkin seeds (pepitas) soaked overnight and drained
1 cup of sprouted chickpeas
1 cup of fresh mint leaves
½ Jalapeno pepper
1 tsp cumin
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pinch of pink Himalayan or sea salt
1 spring onion stalk
1 clove fresh garlic
2 large carrots, shredded
1 fresh Roma tomato, cut in strips
½ red onion, cut finely in strips
2 large collard green leaves (cabbage leaves can also be used)
Optional: alfalfa sprouts
Wasabi or horseradish paste
(1) Place all of the pate ingredients in a food processor using the S-shaped blade and pulse until you achieve a fine and slightly sticky consistency.
(2) Place collard green leaves on a sushi mat or other flat surface and smooth them out as flat as possible.
(3) Put two tablespoons of the pate onto each leaf, and mold the pate into a long tubular shape with your hands. Place Roma tomato strips, red onion strips and shredded carrots lengthwise on top of and beside the pate tube.
(4) As an option to help make these nutrient dense rolls a bit lighter, you can also add alfalfa sprouts on top of the other ingredients.
(5) Roll collard leaves around the pate and other veggies. Eat in a long roll as is, or cut into 1 inch sections with a very sharp knife and arrange closely on a plate as shown so that they do not unravel.
(6) Serve fresh with Nama shoyu sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi. Will keep for a short time when refrigerated and wrapped, especially when the rolls are not cut.
For more raw vegan recipes like these, please check out Raw From the Garden’s website and recipe book at www.rawfromthegarden.com!
Update: Raw From The Garden's featured living food chef and recipe book author Alice Dee will be teaching a series of delicious weekend retreat workshops this coming summer and fall on using the "Raw Vegan Cuisine for Healing and Weight Loss" at beautiful Spirit Lake Hermitage in Northern California. Click here for more details and the event dates.