Here's a recipe for a popular raw vegan transition meal for those still missing their store-bought veggie burgers, with buns made from delicious portabella mushrooms!
The prep time for the vegan patties and mushroom buns is rather minimal, but it does take a bit of time to put together raw vegan versions of the usual condiments, like mustard, ketchup and mayo.
Fortunately, those things store quite well and can be enjoyed over a period of a week or two if kept refrigerated, so you can make larger batches.
Let's get started!
2 large portabella mushrooms
Raw Vegan Patty Mix:
4 carrots, cut into short sections
2 stalks of celery, cut into short sections
2 green onion stalks, cut into short sections
1 small zucchini, cubed
Seasoning to taste (garlic, sea salt, hot or black pepper, etc)
1 tbsp of ground raw mustard seeds
1 Medjool date
¼ tsp raw apple cider vinegar
½ inch cube of ginger root
¼ cup chopped Medjool dates
¼ cup chopped re-hydrated sun-dried tomatoes
¼ cup raw macadamia nuts
1 ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp ground raw mustard seeds
Dash of pink Himalayan or sea salt
Sun-dried or fresh tomato
(1) Rinse the mushrooms and cut out the stems. If desired, trim the caps to make them sit flat. Set aside.
(2) Put the mushroom trimmings and stems into a food processor with the vegan patty ingredients and chop them all into a fine consistency.
(3) Add seasoning as desired and process further.
(4) Form around ¼ to ½ cup of the processed veggies into a ball with your hands and squeeze out any juice.
(5) Flatten each ball into a patty shape around the same width as the mushroom caps.
(6) Make mustard, ketchup and mayo separately in a blender cup or with a mixing wand from ingredients listed.
(7) Place half of the mushroom caps top down on a clean surface and place vegan patties on top. Cover patties with condiments (mustard, mayo and ketchup) and then place fresh toppings above that as desired. Top with another mushroom cap.
If you would like to see more recipes like this and check out our recipe book, kindly vist Raw From the Garden's website at:
You can also join our Raw Vegan Recipes group on Facebook by visiting this link:
Update: Raw From The Garden's featured living food chef and recipe book author Alice Dee will be teaching a series of delicious weekend retreat workshops this coming summer and fall on using the "Raw Vegan Cuisine for Healing and Weight Loss" at beautiful Spirit Lake Hermitage in Northern California. Click here for more details and the event dates.